Home Forums Forum MORE WEIGHT LOSS TALK

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Zack Vegas
    Participant

Agree, excess water weight is probably due to inflammation.  But water weight itself can be a bit tricky.  Low Carb diets are frequently a cause of quick water weight loss, but the mechanism is that they cause the body to be depleted of glycogen, which is stored in the muscles.  Glycogen is bound with water.  But most would want this sort of extra water weight, as it makes muscles look fuller and feel better.  So, the quick low carb weight loss can make muscles look flabby, and not function as well. Not great, unless you are simply cutting weight for a weigh in or something.

However, if you can quickly drop edema, ascetis or inflammation water weight, you would probably both look and feel better, pretty much instantly.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Zack Vegas.

“The ratio of calcium to phosphate is very important; that’s why milk and cheese are so valuable for weight loss, or for preventing weight gain. For people who aren’t very active, low fat milk and cheese are better, because the extra fat calories aren’t needed.” -Ray Peat

“There isn’t anything wrong with a high carbohydrate diet, and even a high starch diet isn’t necessarily incompatible with good health, but when better foods are available they should be used instead of starches. For example, fruits have many advantages over grains, besides the difference between sugar and starch. Bread and pasta consumption are strongly associated with the occurrence of diabetes, fruit consumption has a strong inverse association.” -Ray Peat

“For example, whey protein contains much more tryptophan than whole milk or cheese does, and would tend to suppress the thyroid and activate the whole serotonin-stress system. Whey might be good for fattening pigs, but its acceptance in the health food industry as a powdered protein supplement is just another example of the harmful effects of serotonin mythology.”-Ray Peat, PhD

DozingAnt
      Participant

It truly is surprising how popular protein powders are.  The tryptophan topic always fascinates me because Dr. Peat’s articles on methionine restriction and the phosphate to calcium ratio seem to be major pillars, along with the PUFA elimination, for attaining robust health.  Finding the sweet spot for what works best with our metabolism is the magic question!

As I recall Cari, you’ve significantly reduced your meat and gelatin?  Your posts really help me stay focused!  Thank you! 🙂

@DozingAnt “As I recall Cari, you’ve significantly reduced your meat and gelatin?  Your posts really help me stay focused!  Thank you!”

I still don’t eat much meat, maybe 3-ounces a couple of times a week and I only use the bone broths and not the collagen powder. I’m still eating mostly yolks and not the whites. My skin and hair are better for it and I am not so sleepy during the day and early evening. Whole milk has a lot of tryptophan too so I am skimming the cream from the top again now and leaning into cheese a little more lately. I’m like Peat constantly adjusting my diet accordingly to results and new information. We just need to eat more like they did long ago. Funny how far humans have come with so many things, but how they have regressed in nutrition and diet. It is all about conveniences and money now. Have you looked at MY EVERYDAY section Ant? I may change the name to WEIGHT MANAGEMENT, but that is where I am posting what I eat for weight loss/management and my other strategies. Here is the link…

https://raymendeat.com/category/everyday/

@DozingAnt “It truly is surprising how popular protein powders are.  The tryptophan topic always fascinates me because Dr. Peat’s articles on methionine restriction and the phosphate to calcium ratio seem to be major pillars, along with the PUFA elimination, for attaining robust health. ”

Here is are a couple more for you on why I avoid excess tryptophan Ant…

“When rats were fed a diet completely lacking tryptophan for a short period, or a diet containing only one fourth of the “normal” amount for a more prolonged period, the results were surprising: They kept the ability to reproduce up to the age of 36 months (versus 17 months for the rats on the usual diet), and both their average longevity and their maximum longevity increased significantly. They looked and acted like younger rats. (A methionine-poor diet also has dramatic longevity-increasing effects.)” -Ray Peat

“Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a much higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains even less tryptophan. Some people have been encouraged to eat only the whites of eggs, “to avoid cholesterol,” but the egg albumin is disproportionately rich in tryptophan.” -Ray Peat

This clip is about a study was where they took two sets of overweight people and matched up their diets to the exact same amount of protein, minerals, sugars, carbs, fats and calories except one group for it from fresh foods and the other got theirs from processed foods. They results were that the fresh food group ate 500 less calories per day and lost 2 pounds in two weeks and the packaged processed food group ate 500 more calories per day and gained 2 pounds in two weeks…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7hIOiAoiiK/?igsh=Y2RkOTNiMDgwYQ==

This video clip is for those one meal a day dieters. Small frequent meals throughout the day is better for for weight loss…

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 68 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Cari aka "Rinse & rePeat"

Skip to content