Home Forums Forum What Ray Said

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gawdawg
    Participant

“Nutrition is as complex and open and undefined as metaphysics or cosmology or anything. It’s a process of exploring and learning, and figuring things out. It’s never a closed book; never a finished subject. Everything is always changing, and always individual, and always changed by context. So what’s true for one person today, where they are, will necessarily be somewhat different when they are in a different place doing different things.”

“I don’t have an eating plan, other than to be perceptive and to learn about your physiology, so that you can adjust things to your needs. Any craving is a good starting point, because we have several biological mechanisms for correcting specific nutritional deficiencies. When something is interfering with your ability to use sugar, you crave it because if you don’t eat it you will waste protein to make it.” (2019)

“Keeping the metabolic rate up is the main thing, and there are lost of ways to do it.” (2015)

“Our instincts give us a few clues about our nutritional needs, such as thirst, the hunger for salt, the pleasantness of sweet things, and the unpleasantness of certain odors or very acrid or bitter tastes.”

DozingAnt
      Participant

How true, that keeping our metabolic rate higher, we have the chance to revamp our operating system!  It can certainly take time to discern individual tweaks, but given a basic understanding of the why’s, allows us to make better choices day by day.

“Our food usually contains enough PUFA, unavoidably, to make fats matter to some extent. After about twenty years of carefully avoiding them, I’m still getting about 2% of my fat as PUFA (beef, oysters, eggs, etc.). That’s why I’m making an effort to increase my sugar intake, to displace some fat.” -Ray Peat

DozingAnt
        Participant

Avoiding PUFA certainly appears to be primary for optimal health.  I know Dr. Peat preferred low fat milk, but in an effort to minimize additives, I use whole milk (raw isn’t available unfortunately) but that certainly increases the fat content.  To offset I limit other diary fat from butter, cream, and cheese, along with eliminating standard nuts/seeds/other typical PUFA secret storage units.

“It’s best in general to get the B vitamins from regular foods, occasionally with liver, because supplements usually contain contaminants that can cause allergic reactions when they are used for a long time. Other B vitamins that are usually safe for occasional use are B1, niacinamide, and pantothenic acid.” -Ray Peat

“Because the polyamines intensity the neurotoxic and carcinogenic effects of estrogen and of polyunsaturated fats, those three types of substance should be considered as a functional unit in making food choices. (Grass-fed organic beef fresh from a local farm would be a reasonable choice.) Unfortunately, the meat industry has maximized all of those dangers, just for the increased weight of their product.” -Ray Peat

Ray Peat talks about magnesium here…

“In the opposite direction, an excess of insulin or prolactin, or a deficiency of vitamin E, increases the activity of the enzymes that convert linoleic acid into the more highly unsaturated fatty acids. Excess insulin and prolactin are crucially involved in many degenerative diseases.” -Ray Peat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 27 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Mark

A beautiful human with a goofy personality.
        Skip to content