Home Forums Forum STARCH – The Delicious Devil

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

DozingAnt
    Participant

Very good post, potatoes are so delicious!  Thank you for the reminder about the red potatoes, Cari!  This last time I bought the Yukon yellow ones, and even though I soaked them after peeling then boiling, something just seemed off.  Perhaps related to the “hidden nasties” aspect of them being non-organic — grocery shopping these days is challenging!

Organic potatoes are a must. Potatoes are the most pesticide laden crops, strawberries too. Go even smaller than the Yukons and get the baby “new” potatoes that are smaller than a kiwi. They are so sweet and delicious. I just posted a new recipe last night using them. Here is the link to it…

Crispy Smashed New Potatoes with Salsa & Sour Cream

“THE PROBLEMS WITH CONVENTIONAL POTATOES

1) According to the USDA’s Pesticide Data Program, 35 different pesticides have been found on conventional potatoes.

And out of these 35:

– 6 are known or probably carcinogens

– 12 are suspected hormone disruptors

– 7 are neurotoxins

– 6 are developmental or reproductive toxins

The chemical that is found on 76% of all conventional potatoes is chlorpropham, an herbicide that is used to stop the growth of weeds and to inhibit potato sprouting.

Not only is this chemical toxic to honey bees, but according to the Extension Toxicology Network, chronic exposure of laboratory animals to chlorpropham has caused “retarded growth, increased liver, kidney and spleen weights, congestion of the spleen, and death.”

2) As a root vegetable, potatoes absorb all of the pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides that are sprayed above the ground and then eventually make their way into the soil.

With potatoes, however, the chemical treatment is quite extensive.

During growing season – They get treated with fungicides

Before harvesting – They get sprayed with herbicides to kill off the fibrous vines

After being dug up – They get sprayed again to prevent them from sprouting

3) Quite often, the most important information about a food is what growers or “insiders” have to say about it.

Jeff Moyer, CEO at the Rodale Institute and former chair of the National Organic Standards Board, has been quoted as saying “I’ve talked with potato growers who say point-blank they would never eat the potatoes they sell. They have separate plots where they grow potatoes for themselves without all the chemicals.”

ORGANIC POTATOES ARE THE ANSWER”

1. https://livingmaxwell.com/health-risks-conventional-potatoes

”For items that aren’t always peeled but can be—like apples, potatoes, and carrots—peeling likely removes some residues, but not all.

That’s because some pesticides are systemic, meaning they’re absorbed into the plant. Peeling can have a downside, too, because the skins contribute healthy fiber and other nutrients, says Amy Keating, a registered dietitian at CR, so if you like eating them, don’t get rid of them just to avoid pesticides.“

https://www.consumerreports.org/health/food-contaminants/how-to-protect-yourself-from-pesticides-in-produce-a4482576266/#:~:text=For%20items%20that%20aren’t,some%20residues%2C%20but%20not%20all.

Lilac
      Participant

I have never tried organic potatoes. Now I feel a bit stupid. Especially as potatoes are not as appealing to me as they used to be, decades ago. Maybe the problem is the added man-made toxins, not the natural nightshade ones. I will give them a try and report back.

Whaaat?!! Girl you have not been following me because I talk a lot about potatoes good and bad. Start with those baby new potatoes, organic,  boil them and have them with some butter and salt. I don’t think anyone can go wrong with them. They are pure sugar!

Gawdawg
        Participant

“You’ll never convince somebody who doesn’t want to be convinced.”

“Many studies have found that sucrose is less fattening than starch or glucose, that is, that more calories can be consumed without gaining weight. During exercise, the addition of fructose to glucose increases the oxidation of carbohydrate by about 50% (Jentjens and Jeukendrup, 2005).”” -Ray Peat

Ray Peat, PhD: Quotes Relating to Exercise – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Here is my email to Ray Peat…

Do you think everyone should avoid gluten?

Ray Peat: “Yes.”

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 37 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Cari aka "Rinse & rePeat"

Skip to content