Home Forums Forum SLEEP

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

“(With aging, the loss of glycogen in the brain has serious consequences, including insomnia. Estrogen’s depletion of glycogen in other tissues is probably important for their functioning, and thyroid and progesterone are known to help maintain the glycogen stores.)” -Ray Peat​

“While it’s true that the thyroid hormone increases sensitivity to adrenaline, its most noticeable effect is in improving the ability to relax, including the ability to sleep soundly and restfully.” -Ray Peat

“The sleep-inducing effect of salty food is probably related to the anti-excitatory effects of hyperosmolarity, of adequate thyroid function, and of carbon dioxide.”
    -Ray Peat

“Blood sugar also seems to be low in migraine, so that some people find that eating a large amount of ice cream can interrupt the symptoms. This observation might be what we need to understand the role of sleep in health. We all know how hard it is to sleep when we are hungry (low blood sugar), and how sleepy we sometimes get after a big meal. Low sugar levels in the blood can literally starve some cells into malfunctioning.” – Dr Ray Peat

“Since glucose and salt are used to treat shock (intravenous 7.5% salt solutions are effective), it seems appropriate to use carbohydrate (preferably sugar, rather than starch) and salty foods during the night, to minimize the stress reaction. They lower adrenalin and cortisol, and help to maintain the volume and fluidity of blood. Thyroid, to maintain adequate carbon dioxide, is often all it takes to improve the blood levels of salt, glucose, and adrenalin.” -Ray Peat

This video is eye opening as to things one does during the day that set me them up for a bad night sleep…

Cari
    Keymaster

Update:

I am sleeping the best I ever have in my life, which is pretty darn good for a sixty year old. Keeping to my sleep schedule of going to bed between 10:00 and 10:30 has been important. Any earlier or later throws the night off. No television a couple hours before sleep is another important factor. The days I have been outdoors in the sun I sleep extra good and I don’t eat meat in the evening either to insure a straight eight hours. I have some raw honey and maybe a half cup of full-fat milk before bed or a cup of sweetened chamomile tea and when all else fails an aspirin does the trick. Having fixed my sleep has fixed my energy level and my weight stays steadily the same now. A deep restful sleep is one of the best things in life.

Cari
      Keymaster

“Rosemary has significant antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-apoptotic, anti-tumorigenic, antinociceptive, and neuroprotective properties. Furthermore, it shows important clinical effects on mood, learning, memory, pain, anxiety, and sleep.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7491497/#:~:text=Rosemary%2C%20Rosmarinus%20officinalis%20L.%20(,fatigue%20(5%2C%206).

Cari
        Keymaster

This is really good info on circadian rhythms the sun and sleep…

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7SqKF-ytik/?igsh=MTBlZjE4YzMxOA==

Cari
          Keymaster

“Can Napping Count as Sleep?
            A daytime nap is not a replacement for a full night’s sleep. Napping can help relieve fatigue, but it can’t reverse the negative effects of chronic sleep loss.

Sleep plays a critical role in your overall health. Nearly every system in your body needs sleep to function well, from your heart to your immune system. Getting adequate, quality sleep each night helps clear out waste from your brain, keeping your mind sharp during the day.

Your body has two systems that control when and how much you sleep: the circadian rhythm and sleep drive. Your circadian rhythm is a 24-hour cycle that regulates your body temperature, metabolism, and hormone levels, making you feel sleepy when the sun goes down and more alert as the sun rises. Your sleep drive keeps track of how long you’ve been awake, making you more tired the longer you go without sleep.

As you sleep, your brain remains active. There are four stages of sleep: stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. The first three stages are often called non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep. Each stage has a unique pattern of brain activity. For example, dreaming typically occurs during REM sleep while stage 3 is responsible for restorative deep sleep.

In adults, a nap typically includes all the stages of sleep but in different proportions than regular nightly sleep. Naps are a useful stopgap for people who struggle to get enough sleep at night. But health experts agree that napping does not provide the same restorative power as a full night’s rest.

Are There Drawbacks to Napping?
            Napping is generally a positive habit that can help fight fatigue, but, in some cases, may worsen nighttime sleep issues or signal an underlying sleep disorder.

Health experts recommend avoiding daytime naps if you regularly experience trouble sleeping at night. Too much napping, especially later in the day, reduces sleep drive, which is the need for sleep that grows stronger the longer you stay awake. This can be an issue for people who regularly have trouble falling asleep, like those who experience insomnia.“

Napping: How Dozing During the Day Affects Your Sleep at Night

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 41 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Cari aka "Rinse & rePeat"

Skip to content