Home Forums Forum Shingles

Tagged: ,

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Cari
    Keymaster

@barbparadise How are you doing, is your shingles gone yet?

barbparadise
      Participant

Yes! I still have a little residual nerve discomfort when I wear under garments but it’s something I can deal with. Thank you for checking in. If I get it again I will start the lysine right away when I first feel the nerve pain.

Cari
        Keymaster

@barbparadise I am glad to hear you are improving. Let’s hope this is the last time. 🌼

Cari
          Keymaster

@barbparadise

I don’t know why I hadn’t though of it before, but I use to mix a tiny bit of lotion or you could use coconut oil with a lot of cayenne pepper and spread it over my husband’s  back where he had pain. I would tape some gauze over it and he said it worked better than any of those pain patches from the store.

Here is a list of essential oils recommended for shingles pain…

“Essential Oils for Shingles
            Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts taken from the roots, stems, leaves, flowers, and fruits of plants. These extracts have therapeutic properties that may offer health benefits and pain relief.

“Some essential oils have been proven to have antiviral effects in clinical studies. This may make them a good addition to your treatment plan for shingles.”

“Thyme Oil
            Thyme essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce shingles pain and swelling when applied to the skin.

Research found that thyme oil has an antiviral effect against certain viruses. These include herpes simplex virus type I, human rhinoviruses, and influenza viruses.4 The same study determined thyme essential oil has antifungal and antioxidant properties.

Do not consume thyme essential oil. It is most effective for pain when applied topically. Be sure to dilute thyme oil with a carrier oil, such as olive or coconut oil, before applying it to the skin.”

https://www.verywellhealth.com/essential-oils-for-shingles-5184328

Cari
            Keymaster

Hi @barbparadise   @Lollipop posted this article about red light healing nerve damage and I thought of you with your shingles.

“In the study, researchers determined an optimal ‘dose’ of light and showed that their method could deliver significant therapeutic improvements including significant restoration of sensation and movement, and regeneration of damaged nerve cells.

In just five days of treatment, they found that the delivery of red light at a wavelength of 660nm for one minute a day increased cell viability (a measurement of the number of live cells) by 45%.

“Excitingly, this aspect of the study showed the effect of 660nm light was both neuro-protective, meaning it improved survival of nerve cells, and neuro-regenerative, meaning it stimulated nerve cell growth,” said Professor Zubair Ahmed, who led the study.”

Red Light Therapy for Repairing Spinal Cord Injury Reaches Milestone With New Implant

Lollipop
              Participant

I have seen people have great luck with shingles thinking in terms of serotonin being high.  Though not ideal, I know one friend who took 9,000mg of lysine for 4 days and basically knocked out the shingles.  I have also seen people put Zinc Drink on a cotton ball and rub it on the breakout – took the pain and dried up the flareup fast.  Like @cari said above red light could certainly help!!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Lollipop.
                barbparadise
                Participant

Thanks Cari for the red light suggestion. I keep meaning to try the red light but forget to do it. I’ll have to make myself a note or a reminder alarm. The discomfort is mostly when I’m wearing clothes so once I dress down and get comfortable I forget. I hope it’ll work.

barbparadise
                  Participant

Thank you for the suggestions Lollipop.  I haven’t heard of zinc drink. Where do I find it?  I tried the 9000 mg of lysine about a week or two into my breakout. I only did it for 3 days then I reduced down to 6000 for a few days. I never saw an improvement so I quit. It may be that I didn’t start it right away.

Lollipop
                    Participant

@barbparadise yes correct need it in the beginning it stops it from even forming the rash.  So you have to recognize the signs before the outbreak and start it.  Zinc Drink can be bought on Amazon.  It is from Metagenics.

barbparadise
                      Participant

I’ve been remembering to try the red light! This is my third day. I thought I saw some improvement after the first one but now I’m on day three and I can’t see much improvement. I’ll keep it up for a time and report back yay or nay.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 37 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Skip to content