Home Forums Forum Recognizing endotoxin, serotonin, cortisol, high estrogen…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lilac
    Participant

I have been “Peating” for more than 11 years. And I’m not sure I recognize all those things I listed in the topic title. But the longer I do Peat, read Ray Peat, and keep perceiving and thinking, the better grip I have on these things.

I think endotoxin and serotonin can overlap. A sense of being suppressed, low-energy, down, or depressed. If constipation occurs, think about how you’re feeling.

Cortisol. This is one I’m not sure about. But I think when people fly off the handle, get angry, it might be high cortisol. I notice that when I am hungry, have low blood sugar, I will yell at my cat for little things. Poor cat!

Ray said high estrogen can be the cause of general, all-over body aches. I used to have that. And I haven’t had it since doing Peat. Thank you, Ray!

Good ATP production. High metabolic rate. (Oxidative phosphorylation?) This is elusive for me. I think I know when I have it, because I feel a spring in my step. Even right out of bed, I can feel my legs pushing off the floor. I want to be moving, not sitting. Like a child. And mood is often equally buoyant. Maybe not quite, as Ray say, “like a kid on Christmas morning.” But lots of humor and imagination and no caution or worry.

Two things I do not have a grip on. First, I’m not sure what histamine feels like (runny or stuffed nose?). What are the symptoms? The other is methylation.  I’ve read a bit here and there on this. Nothing sinks in or is clear.

Gawdawg
      Participant

The compounds you mentioned all support one another.

I believe serotonin plays a bigger role in excitatory behavior.

Some other signs of histamine overload: hives, red eyes, low blood pressure, facial swelling, itchy skin and eys and ears. Diarrhea might be one of them.

Lilac
        Participant

I don’t have those histamine symptoms, so maybe I am good there. I have wondered about this. Even in my teens, I would get a flush reaction from salad dressing (vinegar?) often. I had thought that was an indicator of a problem.

One indicator of high estrogen that I forgot is having the urge to urinate but not having a lot of urine. I think Ray wrote that high estrogen lowers the threshold at which you feel the urge to urinate. I had that, too, before Peat. Had to get up in the middle of the night for little reason actually. This problem disappeared quickly with Peating and has never returned.

Gawdawg
          Participant

Yeah, adverse reactions to any food means avoid it. 🙂

Ray also mentioned at one time drinking OJ can help with bladder control.

Lilac
            Participant

This post by Danny Roddy on Twitter fits in here. How he senses T3 and T4.

“Bone loss occurs almost entirely during the night, and the nocturnal rise in cortisol and prolactin has strongly catabolic effects, but many other pro-inflammatory substances also rise during the night, and are probably the basic cause of the increased catabolism. Increased salt in the diet appears to improve some aspects of calcium metabolism, such as reducing parathyroid hormone and increasing ionized calcium, when the diet is deficient in calcium (Tordoff, 1997).” -Ray Peat

DozingAnt
              Participant

Very interesting topic and I enjoy seeing how others identify “off” symptoms.  I had not read about the estrogen causing need to urinate without actually having a full bladder.

My most prevalent symptoms still seem to relate to higher estrogen and serotonin.  Clues for me are my eyelids tend to sting and itch when starch is part of the diet.  I cook for others who eat “healthy” but not necessarily Peaty and sometimes I don’t have milk or my go -to’s on hand.  That’s when I really start to notice specific symptoms and say “why did I eat that??”  sigh….

I used to have hives and night hot flashes (cortisol) but they continue to improve.  Hives particularly are related to non-cotton clothing because it’s hot here and with outdoor work sweating, polyester definitely creates rashes.   (Fabric frequency thread here is very neat!).

When I first starting reading Dr. Peat and doing temp checks I was, wow – my thyroid is great, look at these 99+ temps.  Only to realize that’s exactly what high stress hormones can cause, haha.

Large amounts of meat raises cortisol and damaged muscle!?

“Since cholesterol is the source of progesterone and testosterone (and pregnenolone, DHEA, etc.), and sugar increases it, having fruit rather than starch might increase the hormones. Those hormones, antagonistic to cortisol, can help to reduce waist fat.” -Ray Peat

“Once the protective barrier-functions of the intestine and liver have been damaged, allergens and many materials with specific biological effects can enter the tissues. The polysaccharide components of connective tissue constitute a major part of our regulatory system for maintaining differentiated cell functioning, and absorbed starches act as “false signals,” with a great capacity for deranging cellular functioning. Several types of research indicate that carrageenan changes cellular function in complex ways, imitating changes seen in cancer, for example.” -Ray Peat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Skip to content