Home Forums Forum Medicinal Herbs – Saffron. What Ray Peat said.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tia Mia
    Participant

@Cari aka “Rinse & rePeat” —

Are you still growing saffron crocus? It was awhile ago, I think, when you had a quote from Ray Peat when you wrote to him about saffron and some other herbs.

I have been reading about different supplements for eye health. In addition to the better known ones such as lutein and astaxanthin, I came across a mention of saffron.  It made me think of your saffron bulbs. While there are saffron capsules listed for sale on some sites, I imagine fresh saffron threads would be better?

Tia Mia
      Participant

Hunh. Just read that saffron aromatherapy increases estrogen. Definitely not what I want.

Yeah I found in the RPF an email exchange with Ray Peat talking about saffron….

[Are orange blossom, rose water, saffron and hibiscus tea safe/beneficial?]​

Ray Peat: “I think they are safe; I have enjoyed all of them at different times. Hibiscus tea is recognized as a treatment for high blood pressure, and saffron has been used successfully for treating many problems.”​

Tia Mia
        Participant

Cool! Thanks for finding it!! I am gong to plant some saffron crocus in the fall. Just using some in recipes is more my style than swallowing saffron supplements anyway.

Oh, and I also read that yellow nasturtium flowers can be added to salads as mildly beneficial for eye health. So I just ordered some Alaska Gold nasturtium seeds. 😀

I want to start growing edible flowers for my food photography.

Gawdawg
          Participant

Is not Saffron a serotonin agonist?

I can’t say what the negatives are with saffron, but I have only had it three times in my life, so I am growing it for fun. Only three tiny strands come out of each flower and then they get tinier when you dry them out. Saffron has a lot of benefits, that I really don’t need, but maybe taking it in a supplement form often, like other supplements, probably has a downside. I have read it is good for depression, Alzheimer’s, and even has cancer fighting properties. So I suppose the negatives should be weighed against the positives. I for one only got enough from all the bulbs I planted for one dinner, and I look forward to it!

Gawdawg
            Participant

I did a search and found this. It appears nothing is conclusive about saffron being a serotonin agonist.

“Hausenblas et al.[38] stated that, similar to antidepressants, saffron may exert its antidepressant effect by modulating the levels of certain chemicals in the brain, including serotonin (a mood-elevating neurotransmitter). Although it has been proposed that saffron increases serotonin levels in the brain, the exact mechanism of action for this is unknown. More specifically, a saffron extract might inhibit serotonin reuptake in synapses. Inhibiting synaptic serotonin reuptake keeps serotonin in the brain longer, thereby enhancing its positive effects while combating depression.”

This is so good to know Dawg! Thanks for posting back on this!

Tia Mia
              Participant

Thank you, Gawdawg. I see some companies selling supplements of saffron capsules, but I think I will just add a few saffron threads for fun if I can get some saffron crocus planted in the fall.

My yellow Alaska Gold nasturtium seeds have arrived, so I will start germinating them and starting my plants indoors till it warms up a little. I will throw some into salads this summer. Not a cure, of course, just a fun nudge in the right direction.

I appreciate the research. Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Skip to content