Home Forums Forum CITRIC ACID – from black mold not citrus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cari
    Keymaster
      • “Citric acid is the principal organic acid found in citrus fruits. To meet increasing demands it is produced from carbohydrate feedstock by fermentation with the fungus Aspergillus nigerand the yeasts of Candida spp.”

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0734975095000028#:~:text=Citric%20acid%20is%20the%20principal,the%20yeasts%20of%20Candida%20spp.

“Black mold efficiently converts sugars into citric acid. Its fermentation is also generally recognized as safe by the FDA under its Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. Excessive amounts of citric acid may cause tooth enamel to dissolve over time.”

Citric Acid

“Phosphate toxicity offers some interesting insights into stress and aging, helping to explain the protective effects of carbon dioxide, thyroid hormone, sugar, niacinamide, and calcium. It also suggests that other natural substances used as food additives should be investigated more thoroughly. Excessive citric acid, for example, might activate dormant cancer cells (Havard, et al., 2011), and has been associated with malignancy (Blüml, et al., 2011). Nutritional research has hardly begun to investigate the optimal ratios of minerals, fats, amino acids, and other things in foods, and how they interact with the natural toxicants, antinutrients, and hormone disrupters in many organisms used for food.”

https://raypeat.com/articles/articles/phosphate-activation-aging.shtml

“What are the risk factors of citric acid?
      May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Excessive intake of citric acid may cause erosion of the teeth. Inhalation: Causes respiratory tract irritation“

https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/95375.htm#:~:text=May%20cause%20skin%20sensitization%2C%20an,Inhalation%3A%20Causes%20respiratory%20tract%20irritation.

Beachbum
      Participant

This is awesome info and groos.  Thank you 😊

Anonymous

Could say  beef is disgusting because it comes from mud which grows into grass but the people love beef

this sort of stuff tends to be pretty well tested. I have been happier at times for taking C supplements??

Cari I remember looking at sheets like this in  the lab. You can find sheets that say the most ridiculous stuff for day to day chemicals. It doesnt mean its toxic in the  way we use it in our day to day life. More like if you decided to eat spoonfuls of vitamin C powder this would happen instead of the pinch or so you would take as a supplement

probably right its best to get things from food but then what if someone has scurvy and genuinely needs the vit C? probably be grateful for the fungus then (its probably not actual black mould, just a related species) we could say antibiotics are toxic because they come from blue mould but its actually life saving

Cari
          Keymaster

@questforhealth

I am not into eating black mold and Candida. I am thankful that Ray Peat brought attention to this. Again I am in the best health of my life at sixty one years old, but that wasn’t always the case. What I like about Ray Peat very much is that he went against the grain and called out the crooked medical system and the skewed sheep studies. I have solidly followed Ray Peat’s advice and all that I can say is I am the proof. You can partake in whatever you choose Quest, but there is no debating me to take a chance on my good health to eat inferior foods. Less is better for me. I would rather eat half as much good food than twice as much bad. So spend your dollar how you like and I will be choosy with mine and make it matter.  As the saying goes, “It is better to pay the butcher than to pay the doctor.” I don’t take supplements anymore and am healthier for it so I can’t comment on your last sentence, I would just eat an organic sweet orange if I needed a pinch of vitamin C.

Anonymous

It just stresses me out to look at this forum because people seem too paranoid and I’m  genuinely worried because it makes it sound like everything is going to kill you and I don’t like to think of people worrying so much about everything

I once drank two tablespoons!! of vitamin C  in water by accident like an idiot and it felt like someone injected me with a liquid panic attack but after that passed nothing really happened

im not saying we need supplements to be healthy but citric acid powder isn’t some awful toxin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Cari

Skip to content