Home Forums Forum SLEEP

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    JP
    Participant

Full fat milk with 1/2t sugar plus a pinch of salt worked…I slept through the night finally!!! Thanks a lot Cari! I am not so sure about commercial honey so sticking with white sugar.

This makes me extremely happy to hear JP! I use white sugar or raw honey at night and both work just as well. It feels amazing to sleep straight through the night consistently. Keep it up JP and report back!

Gawdawg
      Participant

Ray Peat was a fan of wearing wool socks and a wool hat when sleeping to help keep the body temperature at a good level.

Gawdawg
        Participant

Typically for me, an hour before bed I will drink a pint of milk and a pint of orange juice and take some pregnenolone. I’ve found those things to be helpful for sleep. I never wake up where can’t go back to sleep except one time last year; I drank a Mexican Coke and fell right back to sleep. Sometimes, if my body wants it, I will use some progesterone. The sucrose and lactose are the major items here for sleep.

Lilac
          Participant

Once, on vacation, I had a filet mignon relatively late in the day for me. Maybe 5 or 6 pm. I had the worst time lying in bed, trying to digest it. It sat like a rock in my stomach for hours. I think part of the problem might have been eating too much of it–as in, I’m paying for this restaurant meal, and I should not waste it.” That line of thinking alone can lead to trouble. But when I read Ray’s advice to avoid meat late in the day, I figured that had been the main problem. Never again!

That is the problem for me too Lilac with restaurant meals, wasting food. Taking food home to have the meat for lunch the next day seems to be the best option for this issue. When I would travel I would ask for a mini fridge in my room or go to places that had one. Last night my son took me bowling and though I brought food we ended up staying there to eat too. He got chili cheese fries and chicken tacos, but I did not want to eat that cheap chicken, starches and all the bad fried oil stuff and so I had a lettuce wrapped burger. He liked my burger better than all that he had ordered, but I did not sleep well last night because of it and I am having a tougher time “getting with it” this morning. At least I tried bringing myself an organic Mexican Coke, some lecithin free coconut oil chocolate and some sprouted cashews to snack on. I cannot imagine how I managed back in the day eating all that garbage in places like that.

“Some of the current publicity that is used to promote the fact that melatonin is used to make you go to sleep, it happens to be also a thing that goes up during hibernation, and its function is to lower the body temperature, and remember the hospitalized patients — the ones who had the lowest temperatures were the least likely to survive, because as the thyroid goes down and your body temperature falls, you lose a lot of your immune functions and tissue repair capacity. So lowering your body temperature does make you hibernate and it does make you sleep, but you don’t want to use something out of context to force that.

The studies that have been used to advocate melatonin’s possibly anti-aging effect were done on mice and rats, and it turns out that they are very opposite to human beings and pigs, because they work at night in general and sleep in the daytime, and so melatonin for them has exactly the opposite meaning that it does for people and pigs. And for example, in humans and rats, melatonin raises prolactin, but in humans, prolactin knocks out progesterone production and causes infertility and stress and osteoperosis for example.” -Ray Peat

“Research suggests the active substances found in saffron have sleep-inducing properties and may have a beneficial effect on sleep quality and duration.

A recent review that included five studies and 379 participants found that treatments containing saffron or its active substances, including crocin, helped improve sleep quality and sleep duration.“

https://www.health.com/saffron-benefits-8398863

HD: Right. So that’s the parasympathetic nervous system. It’s all about what happens after you eat a meal for example: You relax. You take it easy. You digest your food. Everything is being produced by the glands, that are secreting enzymes into the intestine or the stomach to digest your food. The heart rate slows down.
            I always think the parasympathetic is fairly peaceful and wet, if you like.

RP: And it tends to take over at night. It helps the person go to sleep by slowing the heart rate. At least it should slow things down during the night; but with problems such as diabetes, or hypoglycemia, or various metabolic disorders, it can get overactive and instead of just calming things down, slowing the metabolism, lowering blood sugar, because you don’t need so much, it can cause too much insulin secretion and other glandular secretions. For example, causing too much mucus formation. And the increased insulin can lower your blood sugar too much. Then, that can lead to intensified activity of the nerves, intensifying both contraction and relaxation where it shouldn’t be happening.”

Ray Peat: “Yeah. And, some people wake up cyclically during the night. When I was counseling dieters, there were some very fat people who would wake up: one of them woke up every hour during the night. The other one, I think, was sleeping an hour and a half, or so. And I got them to set an alarm clock to wake themselves up about 5 or 10 minutes before their expected waking, and eat anything with carbohydrates (milk, or juice, or even a cracker or something), and to do that every hour. And, within a week, they were sleeping through the night, and then they were able to start losing weight. Those stress hormones that raise your temperature and pulse rate around dawn were also increasing the blood sugar ( in diabetics, they call it the dawn phenomenon). But it’s the result of the stress hormones that rise during the night. The darkness itself is causing stress, activating hormones. So, in the winter, people are more likely to have disturbed sleep, because of long nights. And getting extra carbohydrates late in the day can help you sleep longer without these episodes of…usually, its nightmares waking people up with a pounding heart.

HD: That’s the adrenalin, right ?

RP: Yeah.”

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 41 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Author

Cari aka "Rinse & rePeat"

Skip to content